8.30.2010

bon ap·pé·tit (n nȧ pā tē)
enjoy your meal

Lately, I've been seeking a lot of simplicity in my life. I was tired of the over complicated, try hard, inadequate feelings you get from certain things in life. Why not the simple enjoyment of whatever comes our way? Why does everything have to be a competition or to outdo someone else? So many people have lost their passions because of fear or insecurity. This year has been a year of growth. I have tuned in to only positive people, places and things. I have decided to put fear on the back burner and put insecurity in the trash. I'm done with all that. I'm trying something new and that is going after whatever it is I feel called to. So, it starts out small and eventually makes up a larger picture. 

For me, it started out simple. Like getting back into the kitchen and fixing up dinner for a change. It didn't have to be crazy or fancy. It didn't have to be stressful, it just needed to be done with a little enthusiasm! I thought I would share this recipe! It's fresh, delicious and the sheer aroma of the dish literally put a smile on my face. Enjoy!

Slow-Baked Tomatoes With Garlic and Mint



Prep: 15 min     Bake: 45 min   Oven: 325 F

1 1/2 lb. cherry or grape tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
7 cloves of garlic, peeled, split and cut lengthwise (remove green shoot)
1 bunch fresh mint, trimmed
1 to 2 tsp. coarse salt
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Toasted slices of rustic bread (french bread is great)
Goat cheese or any other preferred cheese (optional, but recommended)

1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Wash tomatoes and pat dry with paper towel. 
2. In a nonreactive 2-quart baking dish, place tomatoes in a single layer. Pour olive oil so that it is well coated and there is a thin layer (1/2 inch) of oil on bottom of dish. Add garlic, mint, salt and pepper. 
3. Bake, uncovered for 45 - 60 minutes or until skin splits and softens but still retain their shape. 
4. Serve hot, warm or room temperature. Spoon or mash over slices of toasted bread and cheese. 

Tip: Music and food always are a great pair, so put something fun on while making this dish! 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment