I recently discovered this FANTASTIC idea, thanks to such wonderful and creative friends of ours! This is an easy project you can do yourself and perfect for this month's thankfulness theme. Friendship soup is such an inexpensive, creative and thoughtful gift to give a good friend or family member! I know I appreciated it when I recieved it, it's such a fabulous idea!
Here is what you will need:
- a mason jar
- 1/2 cup of dry split peas
- 1/3 cup of beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/4 cup dried minced onions
- 2 tsp italian sea salt
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
Put the ingredients into the mason jar in order (carefully so you can see the nice layers). You can make the jar nice and pretty too, but that's up to you! You should also type the below section out on nice card stock and include it with the jar. It's important your gift comes with instructions!
Additional ingredients needed:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 quarts water
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
Here's what you do:
- Invite some friends over for dinner
- Brown the ground beef (add whatever spices you would like or can handle!)
- Put everything in a large pot and bring to boil
- Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour
- Enjoy with some fresh bread and good conversation!
Hope you give this a try during the holiday! I may have to make a few to give out!